Touch-friendly jQuery image lightbox for mobile and desktop
André Knieriem – a passionate web developer from Germany, created a simple, yet a very useful touch-friendly jQuery image lightbox for mobile and desktop. He was happy to tell us the story behind this great project. Here is his story:
After testing and using several lightbox plugins (photoswipe, colorbox, etc.), I realized that none of those was easy enough for me and they are not mobile ready.
So, I created Simple Lightbox – a lightweight (< 6kb minified) jQuery plugin which works with jQuery 1.x or 2.x and perfectly fits my needs. It’s easy to use, touch friendly, mobile and desktop ready and comes with lots of great options.
- Touch friendly. Swipe gestures for next/previous image
- Easy to install, easy to use
- Minimalist. Only some CSS is included. You can change the style as you wish
- Preloading next and previous image
- Android, iOs and Windows phone support
- CSS3 Transitions with fallback for older browsers
- Can use jQuery 1.x or 2.x
- Keyboard support
I have also created a WordPress plugin for those who are using this CMS. You can download it here. After installing it, you will find all the options in your WordPress admin under Design -> Simplelightbox.
Hope you’ll find this lightweight plugin useful. Feel free to spread the word and let me know if you have some questions or suggestions.